1/2 c. barley
1/2 c. split peas (uncooked)
1/2 c. brown rice (uncooked)
1/2 c. lentils (uncooked, can use red lentils for color)
1 T. parsley
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. salt
1 t. Italian seasoning
1/2 t. onion powder
1 t. sage
In a wide-mouth pint jar, layer barley, split peas, rice, and lentils.
In small plastic bag combine parsley, garlic powder, salt, Italian seasoning, onion powder, and sage.
Decorate jar lid and attach seasoning packet to jar with ribbon.
Attach a recipe card with the following directions:
1. Empty jar contents into colander and rinse.
2. Place contents in large stockpot, and cover with 10 cups water.
3. Stir in 1 medium chopped onion, 2 diced carrots, and seasoning packet.
4. Bring to boil. Lower heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Check after 30 minutes and add additional water if necessary.
5. You can include other vegetables, such as potatoes, celery, or tomatoes. Just add a little more water and additional seasoning to your taste.
Yield: 14 cups soup.
Per 1/2-cup serving: calories: 40; fat: 0 grams; saturated fat: 0 grams; sodium: 86 milligrams; carbohydrates: 8 grams; dietary fiber: 3 grams; protein 2 grams.