1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 medium onions (21⁄2 cups), chopped
3 peppers (4 cups), chopped
1 28-ounce can of petite diced tomatoes, drained
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup frozen, organic corn
1 15-ounce can of black beans, washed and drained
1 15-ounce can plus 1 cup of kidney beans, washed and drained
1⁄2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
(or 1-2 teaspoons ground cumin)
2 cups flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup corn flour
11⁄2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
1⁄2 to 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
11⁄2 teaspoons salt (or more, to taste)
4 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1⁄2 cup oil
21⁄2-23⁄4 cups water
1. Heat oil in pan.
2. Add chopped onions to pan and brown on medium high for about 10 minutes or until soft and slightly browned.
3. Add peppers, tomatoes, garlic, corn, black beans, and kidney beans. Mix well.
4. Cook for approximately 15 minutes until
peppers are softened.
5. Pour mixture into an oven-safe dish.
6. Add chopped cilantro and mix well.
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Mix flour, cornmeal, corn flour, sugar, chopped scallions, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix oil and water together.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients well. Pour batter over the bean mixture.
5. Bake 30-45 minutes until browned and firm to touch.
Note: Serve with fresh salsa. If you don’t have the time or ingredients to make the cornbread crust, you can serve the bean mixture with brown rice.