Yield: 12 servings
1 recipe Chile-Lime Marinade
1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, sliced into ¼-inch strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch strips
1 yellow or orange bell pepper, cut into ½-inch strips
1 poblano or Anaheim chili pepper, cut into ¼-inch strips
1 large onion, sliced into ¾-inch strips
8 ounces mushrooms,
cut into ¾-inch slices
(about 2½ cups)
1 tablespoon water
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lime zest
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
12 (6-inch) flour or corn tortillas, warmed
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika or paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried oregano
• Heat oven to 400°F. Use two sheet pans: line one with parchment paper, and spray the other with cooking spray.
• In 8″ x 8″ pan (or wide dish), stir together Chile-Lime Marinade ingredients.
• Place tempeh slices in marinade, turning each piece over to coat both sides.
• On parchment-lined sheet pan, arrange tempeh in single layer. Reserve extra marinade.
• On sheet pan with cooking spray, place vegetables. Sprinkle with water and salt.
• Bake tempeh and vegetables for 15 minutes. Remove tempeh from oven. Stir veggies, and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, until veggies are crisp-tender.
• Remove veggies from oven, and stir in baked tempeh and reserved marinade. Bake until heated through and veggies are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
• Stir in lime zest. Sprinkle with cilantro.
• Serve with warm tortillas, guacamole, salsa, and lime wedges.
Warm tortillas like a pro.
Wrap a stack of tortillas in foil. Heat in oven until warm and pliable, about 5–10 minutes. Keep wrapped until serving time.
Try it with meatless chicken or tofu. Instead of tempeh, use 2 cups meatless chicken strips or 1 (14–16-ounce) package firm tofu, sliced into ¼-inch strips.
Heather Reseck, RDN, is a registered dietitian nutritionist who teaches online cooking classes and shares plant-based recipes on her blog at www.HeatherReseck.com.