Citrus Cheesecake With Mango Sauce
2½ cups crushed graham crackers
½ cup toasted almond meal
6 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
1⁄4 cup pitted, chopped dates
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon each lemon zest and orange zest
3 tablespoons water
1 12-ounce package extra-firm tofu
2⁄3 cup apple juice
1 banana, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 mango, peeled and chopped
Fresh currants and/or small berries, optional
1. Use a nongreased 7-inch springform pan. Mix together the graham cracker crumbs, almonds, and melted margarine in a bowl. Press the mixture into the base of a nonstick pan.
2. Put the chopped dates, lemon juice, lemon and orange zests, and water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes until the dates are soft; then
vigorously mash them with a fork.
3. Place the mixture in a blender or food processor with the tofu, apple juice, mashed banana, and vanilla
extract, and process until the mixture is a thick, smooth purée.
4. Pour the tofu purée into a prepared graham cracker crumb base.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 30-40 minutes, until lightly golden in color. Cool in the pan, then chill thoroughly before serving.
6. Place the chopped mango in a blender and process until smooth. Serve it as a sauce with the chilled cheesecake. Optional: top with currants and/or small berries.
Vic Scalzo is owner of Specialty Catering, Vic was born in Italy and specializes in Mediterranean menus with an Italian flair. Scalzo has taught chefs how to prepare vegetarian fare and has conducted vegetarian and vegan cooking classes