1 cup cooked yellow split peas
2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans (3½ cups), drained, ½ cup liquid reserved
1⁄3 cup sesame seeds
¼ cup wheat germ
3 tablespoons unfermented soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos
2 tablespoons dried onion
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup soft bread crumbs, or as needed (To make soft bread crumbs, process 2-3 slices of bread in a food processor or blender.)
1. Prepare yellow split peas. (Cook yellow split peas in 3 cups of water for 20-30 minutes until tender. Drain off excess liquid once peas are cooked.) Set aside.
2. Heat oven to 400°F.
3. Process garbanzo beans, ½ cup garbanzo bean liquid, cooked split peas, and sesame seeds in a food processor or blender until smooth.
4. Add wheat germ, soy sauce, onion, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, cumin, and salt; process until smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
5. Mix in bread crumbs as needed until mixture holds together. Roll mixture with hands into 1½-inch balls. Place balls on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray and gently flatten each ball to form a thick disc.
6. Bake 20-30 minutes, turning halfway through baking, until evenly browned on both sides.
Per serving: 70 calories, 2 grams fat, 141 milligrams sodium, 2 grams sugar