1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons oil
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1. In a large bowl, combine yeast and water. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add salt, sugar, and oil.
2. Add flour and whole-wheat flour.
3. Mix to blend in mixer with dough hook or regular beater. Stir in up to 3/4 cup more flour to form a soft dough.
4. Knead 10 minutes with dough hook. Turn out onto floured board and knead 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Place in oiled bowl; turn dough to oil top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
6. Roll each half of dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly-floured surface.
Georgia E. Hodgkin, Ed.D., R.D., is an associate professor in the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics in the School of Allied Health Professions at Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California.